Little Flower Catholic School opened its doors in 1934, welcoming the first of many generations of students to grace the halls of Little Flower Catholic School. At the time of its opening, three Sisters of St. Joseph, who lived at St. Patrick’s convent, staffed the school. The pastor was Father Jimmy Byrnes, remembered fondly by former students and parishioners.
In 1936 a small, one-room building was constructed behind the church to serve as a kindergarten and remained in operation for only three years. In 1944, a new building was constructed which is now referred to as the West Wing. At that time, the convent was on the second floor of the school. The Sisters moved across the street to a newly constructed convent in 1951.
In 1954, ground was broken for an additional building to accommodate the seven hundred thirty-two students enrolled in grades one through eight. The school was staffed with twelve teaching sisters and three lay teachers. Between 1958 and 1965, another kindergarten was started and the Jimmy Byrnes gymnasium was added. The school community consisted of four hundred thirty-two students, one sister-principal, an assistant principal, twenty-two teachers, five cafeteria personnel, a custodian and two maintenance personnel. A pre-school program for three and four-year olds was added in 1987.
Through the years, the spirit of Father Jimmy Brynes has continued through the pastoral leadership of: Most Reverend Joseph Vath, Monsignor David Sullivan, Monsignor Timothy Deasy, Reverend Matthew Sindik, Monsignor Maurice Shields, Reverend Mark Neske, and Reverend David Carruci. The current pastor is Fr. John Lynes. The school has always been an integral part of Little Flower Parish. Historically it has been a parish with a unique spirit, and it remains so today.
Little Flower School has consistently offered quality education to Little Flower parishioners, students from parishes without schools, and non-Catholic students. The faculty includes twelve professionals, including a physical education teacher, a part-time media specialist, two part-time resource/tutors.
The religion program and our Catholic identity are integral parts of the curriculum. The sacramental components involve the school staff, student and family members. First Reconciliation and First Eucharist are celebrated in the second grade.
In 1993 Little Flower Catholic School had the pleasure of being in the forefront of Catholic education and service by hosting the first ACE teachers through the University of Notre Dame. Founded by Rev. Timothy R. Scully, C.S.C., and Rev. Sean McGraw, C.S.C, ACE helps meet the need for talented, well-trained young people to teach in Catholic Schools. The goal is to sustain and strengthen Catholic education, especially in under-resourced school, by forming a next generation of committed, faith-filled Catholic school teachers. We are proud to have these exceptional teachers be a part of our school community for during their two-year commitment.
A science lab was made possible for the year 2000-2001 with another grant from the Bedsole Foundation. The Little Flower Development Committee continues to work to obtain grants and sponsors to benefit the school and to promote the growth of the Little Flower School Endowment Fund established in honor of Fr. Jimmy Byrnes.
In December of 2004, Sr. Mary Joyce Bringer announced her retirement and the Little Flower Catholic School Board began a search for a new principal. In the spring of 2005 the first lay principal, Ms. Clara Brunk, was hired. During the 2014-15 school year Little Flower Catholic School proudly celebrated its 80th year. After 10 years as principal and 40 years of service to education, Ms. Brunk retired. She and Sister Mary Joyce continue to serve Little Flower School and Parish. Ms. Alesa A. Weiskopf, after 24 years as teacher in the school, serves as principal.